So this semester is going by pretty fast. I've had my fair share of ups, downs, twists, turns, surprises and cliches. Overall, its been challenging, exciting, confusing, difficult and beautiful.
I'm using this entry to express what I have been reflecting on these last couple of days. It has to do with my ministry that I co-lead on campus.
As some of you already know, I am a student ministry leader here on campus this year. I view it as an honor and a high privilege to be serving the Lord in this leadership role and I do not take it lightly. I want to share with you what the Lord has been doing through us as we go and spend 2 hours out of our Saturdays to be in fellowship with the elderly.
Elderly Outreach is every Saturday from 10 am-12 pm. The day starts out with us meeting behind the caf with the PLNU vans (shout out to PLNU's physical plant) where we meet and greet with the students who participate. We then load up the vans and make a 10 minute drive to Golden Living. We usually wander around the building to see whose doors are open or to see if anyone is in the foyer to chat. My favorite part. We usually have the people we normally talk to every Saturday, but occasionally the shyer folks begin to open up and share life with us. Over the years, my relationships with my elderly friends have been building. I have been so blessed to share life with these folks who have so much wisdom, love and experience. Every now and then, God leads me into specific conversations with people. I've shared my faith with people, laughed with them and even mourned with them. Sometimes our ministry isn't an easy one. Some of our friends pass away. Some of them experience dementia and don't remember who you are. Some of them slow down with age and don't have much pep in them as they used to. But you know what? The times you spend comforting and just being a presence for them makes it all worth it.
I finally got to meet Pastor John on Saturday when I was sitting with Geneva and Glenna. He began to tell us his testimony and how the Lord met him when he was 28 years old. "I finally gave my life over to him," he said with a genuine and warm smile. After hearing a few wow's and cool's, Pastor John said goodbye and left. Then I asked Glenna how she was doing,
"Not good," she said, "I have been in a lot of pain lately. I need to do the same as what Pastor John did."
After that, she exchanged her story of where life brought her. A career as a psychiatric nurse. Traveled the world. Her favorite place was Morocco. She saved a suicidal man one time using her witty sense of humor. But then, she became blind. Surgery she had on her eyes to try to reverse it, made it worse. And now she had terrible arthritis.
I asked Glenna if we could pray for her and she said she would love that. A couple of other girls were with me and we laid our hands on Glenna. The Lord was there.
Glenna started to cry, "I have never had someone pray for me before like that. Thank you. I have been in so much pain that I can't do anything I used to enjoy. Its been so hard."
My heart broke for Glenna. What? How old was she? She hasn't had anyone pray for her like that? EVER?
It got me thinking...what are we doing? What are Christians doing? We are called to proclaim freedom to the captives, to share God's love, to die to ourselves, take up our crosses and to go out and be the hands and feet of Jesus. What. Are. We. Doing. There are people out there who need to hear about Jesus. Who need to be loved because they feel alone and invisible. We need to stop sitting on our butts and quit having a selfish faith. By selfish faith, I mean hearing the Gospel and then keeping it for ourselves. Going to church to satisfy only OUR hunger. As in James, faith without works is dead. We need to stop living selfishly and to go live our faith out loud.
Because there are people out there, like Glenna, who are old, lost, in pain and alone, who have NEVER been prayed for. Who have NEVER heard the Gospel. I know this hurts Christ's heart just as much as it hurts mine.
Its sad. It hurts me. But you know what? God is good. He raises up warriors to defend the case of the afflicted and oppressed. He's the ultimate healer. He has sent Jesus. Lets shout it from the rooftops!
Please continue to pray for this ministry as well as all the other ones at PLNU. God is doing wonderful things. Please pray that God will raise up more people to attend. Pray for the student leaders. Pray for Glenna. God is working on her heart. And its been a joy to see.
Thank you for your time.
God Bless.
I love you.
ReplyDelete