"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you..." Psalm 32:8

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Elderly Outreach: Seeing Jesus.

This last Saturday was technically our last outing for the semester to visit our Elderly friends in the home. It was a different one then usual. I was extremely blessed and God really knows how to touch my soul and trigger my heart strings.

As the routine goes, we walk into the foyer of the home where I was greeted by my sweet and spunky friend, Gaye. I have been talking to this woman for years and it was so sweet of her to greet me at the door. Soon after chatting with her for a little bit, my beautiful friend Geneva came to join us. This woman has been such a light in my life these past few months of knowing her. She loves Jesus with her whole being and you can just tell by the way her blue eyes shine and the way she laughs. She's always there for a hug.

As I was talking to these wonderful woman, Pastor John (the British chaplain of the home) comes in and greets us.

"I was just over at the hospital next door talking to Virginia! She misses you Point Loma kids so much! She's actually sitting right by the window. Would you like to visit with her? I'd be glad to take you over!"

For those of you who don't know Virginia, she is one of the oldest residents in the home. I believe she is around 93 or 94. She has been one of the residents that we always seem to introduce to other Point Loma kids because she is so full of life, love and happiness. She is also a strong believer in the Lord and it reflects off of her sweet demeanor and personality. Virginia has been in and out of the home due to health complications and it had been nearly a month since we'd seen her. So, I called my co-leader Natalie telling her what Pastor John told me and she came immediately with our friends who had come with us that morning.

As we walked into the hospital, Virginia was ecstatic to see us. She hugged us with tears in her eyes and laughter, "I am SO glad to see you girls! You all look just SO beautiful!" We all started talking with her for a bit, but then Pastor John came up to me and introduced me to a woman I had never met before.
"This here is, Josie. She's a fellow believer as well! She wanted to meet you girls when she found out you guys were Christians."
I had to admit...I was a little caught off guard by meeting her. I was a little hesitant because I wanted to talk to Virginia, but I decided to talk to this woman anyways.

She was so adorable. She had a timid look about her and she was kind of quiet and shy. She wore a long-sleeve teal blue shirt and she was wearing those soft, fuzzy yellow pajama pants. She had small short strides behind her walker. I introduced myself and asked if she would like to chat on the couch. She was a woman of few words and only gave me short, clipped answers at times. When we sat down I asked where she was from, what brought her here and how she was doing.

"Well, I grew up near the LA area. I'm here because I had taken a fall a few years ago. I've been suffering with depression because no one visits me anymore. You see, my closest family all died in the Iraq war. I still keep in touch with some cousins, but I never get any visitors. I've been really lonely."

The reason I do Elderly Outreach is for people like Josie. I knew I had to stay and talk with her. So I did. She noticed I had a CD with me. It was for my friend Jonathon because he had lent it to Sparks to copy, but Sparks was sick that morning and couldn't come so he had asked me to return it. She noticed that one of the songs on the CD was El Shaddai by Amy Grant (click on it and take a listen). She asked if I could play it because she loved that song. There was no CD player in the room, so I just looked up the song on my iPhone and had her listen to it.

As I sat there and listened and waited for the song to be over, the lyrics really hit me. I couldn't help but think of my years going to Elderly Outreach and how many little moments I have had, like this, that have really touched my soul.

"To the outcast on her knees,
You were the God who really sees,
And by Your might,
You set Your children free."

" Age to age You're still the same,
By the power of the name.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
Erkahmka na Adonai,
I will praise you 'till I die.
El Shaddai."

Despite her loneliness and depression, God was still very near to Josie. How beautiful it was to see Christ use me as a tool to be near Josie. All I did was offer my phone to let her listen to that song.

 But in that moment, I observed the Creator of the universe romancing a beautiful woman in her old age with a song that brought comfort, peace and hope. He never left Josie even in her old age. He was always near. Despite the depression or loneliness, Christ always found a way back in.

 In the little moments. Those little moments. If you blink, you will sometimes miss Him. Our God is a big God, but He works in small and quiet ways at times. He appeared as a burning bush. He appeared in the whisper of the wind. He appeared as a babe. And here, He appeared as a song to Josie. And I saw it.

When the song finished, Josie looked at me and excused herself to go to the restroom and I had to return to the home to finish up my visit. She asked me my name again. I gave it to her.

"Jessie. Thank you. I'll remember you." Then she walked away.

Little does she know that she blessed me even more. I'll remember her too.

God will be with me, like He is with Josie, for all my days.

If there is anything I've learned from Elderly Outreach from the last 4 years, its that.

Praise be to the Living God who pursues us, loves us and carries us. Amen, amen, AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment